Monday, June 11, 2012

Chocolate Swirl Pancakes

 

In my house, we do tons of pancakes, especially for birthdays. This year for my daughter's 14th, we made these and topped them with a little butter and syrup. One picked maple and one picked Hershey's. We splurge on the special days!



I started out by making a batch of regular pancake batter (Pioneer, Jiffy, Bisquick, etc). It's easier to make it in something with a pour spout like my Mom always did. Then make a second batch of batter substituting 1/2 cup of cocoa powder and 2 TBSP sweetener for 1/2 cup of the dry mix. Pour the chocolate batter into a quart bag and cut off about 1/4" from one corner. For fluffy pancakes, you want to stir just enough to moisten everything but still have lumpy batter.

On a hot skillet or griddle, pour out your plain batter into circles. Then using your bag of chocolate batter, make swirl designs in the pancakes. I had lots of leftover chocolate batter, so I made mini chocolate pancakes with it.


No comments: